I had a really wonderful time being part of Emily and Simon’s beautiful wedding day this past Thursday.
I headed across to Manchester the night before the wedding to meet up with Emily and the other bridesmaids for a relaxing evening chatting, having our nails done and ordering room service. This was the perfect recipe for the evening before the wedding considering the early start we would have the following day…
I was up at 5:15am and the hair and makeup team arrived just after 6am. From then on it was all about getting ready – a task that seemed pretty non-stop with increasing intensity as the morning progressed until just before we left for the church at about 11:45. Thankfully the rain had stopped by the time we left for the church. (According to Swarupa though, rain is good luck on a wedding day so that was good to hear.) Shortly before we left Paul came to the hotel and picked up our bags for us which really helped out later on in the day with logistics. In fact, I think he was actually the first man to see Emily all ready to go.
The church was really quite grand and, aside from a slight stutter when Simon was lifting Emily’s veil which cause a giggle from the congregation, everything about the ceremony went perfectly. The minister guided Simon and Emily through the service with great expertise, the readings were delivered confidently and nobody tripped up on the way up or down the aisle!
After the church service, we all headed to the reception at Arley Hall near Northwich. Rather unbelievably really, we were able to stand outside in the sun and enjoy the autumn colours in the trees around the hall while having a few drinks and canapés. The Hall is beautiful and I really must make a point of visiting and exploring it as a tourist at some opportunity in the future – making sure to choose a day when it isn’t closed for a private function! One downside was the drive between the church and the Hall – there was a problem on the motorway which meant we all had to divert but it didn’t seem to delay anyone too much.
So I’ve made a little list of my top 5 favourite things about the day:
- Being asked by Emily to be one of her bridesmaids. What an honour that was for me.
- The fact that both Emily and Simon seemed to be relaxed and enjoying their wedding day. It’s so nice to spend time with a couple that so obviously adore each other and are so comfortable in each others company. Ahead of time, Emily was really worried about crying all throughout the day because of the overwhelming emotion of the occasion but it was all fine on the day. I was so pleased. 🙂
- The venue at Arley Hall. It was perfect for the occasion. I particularly loved the wood panelling, the grand staircase and the string quartet playing when we arrived. And the sweet table which appeared later on in the evening!
- The autumn theme of the day that Simon and Emily had gone for. Our flowers were beautiful with their nod to the oranges and browns of autumn but the theme carried on throughout the day all the way down to the use of pumpkins for the table numbering system and the choice of treacle tart for dessert.
- Taking the opportunity to be reminded about our wedding day. Love, love, love. Ahhh…. Blah.
So a very big congratulations to the beautiful and happy couple and we can’t wait to see you when you get back to hear all about your honeymoon in New Zealand. And thanks again for inviting us to be part of your day. xo